Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Wedding

There is nothing quite like seeing your child get married. This spring I was privileged to take part in my son's wedding. It couldn't have been more beautiful--on Miami Beach, in the botanical gardens, under the stars...the romantic quotient was way high that night.

So much planning goes into a wedding. Anyone who has gone through it knows: a year is not too far ahead to begin. But really, I have been praying for my kids' (potential) future spouses since the time they were little.

It was strange to pray that prayer while they were still playing in the Little League, or riding bicycles, or roller skating, or sleeping in choo-choo-train jammies... and then to think about some other little boy or girl growing up somewhere else who would one day be part of our family...but I believed then, as I do now, that God has a plan for each of their lives, and if that plan included a spouse, then He has had that person in His mind since the beginning of time.

In the romantic glow of the wedding vows, all things seem possible. But anyone who has been married more than a few days also knows that the most satisfying and the most difficult thing you ever do in life is making that relationship work every single day.

What a mystery marriage is--and what a picture of God's tender love for His crowning creation, human beings. Man and woman, each created uniquely different, but complementary to each other, are joined together as one flesh to share all aspects of their lives--their hopes, their dreams, and their sorrows.

God draws near to us and desires to be in relationship with us. He paints pictures of Himself in the world we live in--in marriages, in children, in sunsets and romantic starry nights. As we share our hopes and dreams and sorrows with Him, He rejoices in our victories, comforts us in our sorrows, and gives us hope for a better day tomorrow.

The prayer I prayed so long ago was finally answered in my beautiful daughter-in-law. (So cool, God!) I think I can get rid of those choo-choo-train pajamas now.

"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh." Genesis 2:24

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn,

I been home recovering from surgery and finally read your blog! I enjoyed read them and like your style on getting your message out. There is wisdom, experience, and an awe of how things work.

I was very impressed reading that you prayed for your children spouses since they were little. Wow! I did not think much about marriage as a child, but knowing what I know now, it is the single most important decision we make in life. That is, if your strive to marry your soul mate, which by the way was my heart's desire later in life. And how beautiful that you had this wish so in mind for your kids when they we so little. It could only have helped!!

Sol Solorzano

marilyn.brautigam said...

Hi Sol! Thanks for your comments--yes, I am certainly in a reflective period of my life, and it has been so satisfying to look back and see how God has worked through all the ups and downs.
So glad you met and married your soul mate. God is good. Hope you are doing well in your recovery.
un beso, Marilyn

Casa de Luz

Casa de Luz
marcela and dyana