Friday, August 26, 2011

Artichokes

One the best things about being Italian is eating Italian food. But who doesn't love Italian food? Pasta, pizza, meatballs, calzone, Parmesan cheese-- not to mention Italian wine. I believe that secretly, everyone who isn't Italian, really wants to be Italian in their hearts. (I'm talkin' ta YOU!)

Italian Sunday dinners were an institution in my family. There was no negotiation. You made it for dinner, on time. These were noisy, chaotic extended family gatherings that centered on food, and lots of it. You had to pace yourself, because if you stuffed yourself on the first course (homemade pizza) or the second course (pasta and 'gravy'), you would have to crawl home after the main meal of roast beef, vegetables, and mashed potatoes, followed by dessert. My future husband, trying to make a good first impression on my family, made that mistake--once.

One of my most favorite vegetables prepared Italian-style is stuffed artichokes. 'Italian-style' to me means 'prepared in the kitchen with the whole family giving their opinion on how it should be done'. Artichokes are the epitome of this concept--you just cannot make them by yourself. You need at least 5 people: one to read the recipe, one to interpret the recipe, two to stuff the leaves, and one to pour the wine for everyone else.

A few weeks ago I came across an artichoke growing in the Chicago Botanical Gardens. It was the first time I had seen one growing in the ground, blooming. I knew these particular artichokes would probably never make it to Italian Sunday dinner, but in their hearts (that's a pun!), I just knew they'd be there if they could. Stuffed and on time.

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment." I Timothy 6:17





No comments:

Casa de Luz

Casa de Luz
marcela and dyana